Saturday, September 4, 2010

Random thought at 2am

It’s the last week of Ramadhan and I’m sitting here in the masjid at almost 2am. There’s so much anti-Islamic sentiment going on and its increased in the last few months. Islamophobia they call it. I’m not surprised about it, I’m not shocked by it, there are plenty of people (people with power) who have an interest in seeing any forms of an undiluted Islam being entirely dismantled. If anything, it’s annoying. Sitting here, I’m reflecting on this deen and this month.
Often with things of depth, an idea is confined into one word and from that it loses its essence. The term “deen” is translated as “religion”, the term “salah” is translated as “prayer”, the practice of Ramadhan is related to “fasting”. Superficially, people see ramadhan as something so hard because of the lack of food that comes in the daytime hours. Really though, Ramadhan is a time of re-centering oneself, of gaining control of your body and your mind and ultimately your spirit; the pull of society is supposed to lessen.
For me, this month really helps me to check myself and I become more conscious of not only who and what I am but who and what I’d like to become. Everyday is a day of removing impurities from your being and become strengthened again and again and I appreciate this. Of course those on the outside who can’t stand Islam wouldn’t have you think this but, again their opinions are of no importance here. Ramadhan is one of those things that, if you remain attuned to it, you can see the effects it has on you over time and in the space of only a month, drastic changes can be born.
This morning, there’s a lot running through my mind and ironically, the mental congestion that is occurring is happening because I have an idea of direction and an idea of what I’d like to accomplish and how to go about achieving my goals. In due time, they’ll be elucidated. It goes without saying, this month is one of blessings in many varied areas of one’s life.

No comments: